"STOP WAREHOUSING HUMAN BEINGS FOR A PROFIT! STOP KILLING THE UNWANTED."
BRUCE! BRUCE WAS GOD'S GIFT THAT NOBODY WANTED.
THE UNWANTED DESIRE THE RIGHT TO LIVE!
States are facing major budget
shortfalls. Major Medicaid cuts are being proposed at the federal level and are
in the cards for most, if not all, states. One of the major barriers to Freeing
Our People and complying with the Supreme Court's Olmstead decision is funding.
As states look to deal with their budget crises and restrict their spending,
they are limited by funds that must be spent. Since
The President's New Freedom Initiatives
proposals for this year included a Money Follows the Person demonstration
project, to try and get states to try the idea of letting the money follow the
person. Discussions of the President's FY 2005 Budget and New Freedom
initiatives sometimes confuse the
Money Follows the Person is an initiative that is part of the President Bush's
proposal for a Money Follows the Person
· Gives people the freedom to choose where they want to live. It would allow us to take advantage of opportunities that other Americans take for granted - to take a walk when we want to, to choose what we want to eat, when we want to go to bed, to have a job, visit family and friends and be part of our communities.
· It is a win-win. People with disabilities get the choice to live in the community and states get the needed resources to rebalance their long term service systems to increase the availability of community based services.
· The Administration's proposal provides 350 million dollars to states per year for five years for a total of 1.75 billion dollars. It provides 100% of the cost for the first year that a person moves from an institutional setting into the community. After that, the federal government pays its regular Medicaid rate.
· This initiative will help states comply with the ADA and the Olmstead decision. The Supreme Court said in Olmstead that needless institutionalization was discrimination under the Americans With Disabilities Act.
in community is 2/3 on average cost of
· Doesn't bump people on waiting lists because uses funds paying for person in the nursing home or other institution, not waiver funds.
· Money Follows the Person MFP Flyer for helping to get the word out